Wine Party Supplies
Use this handy guide to help calculate what wine party supplies you’ll need for your event.
- ½ bottle of wine/person for each 2-hour period. If your event begins before 5pm, or you are also serving liquor or beer: ½ bottle of wine/person per 3-hour period.
- If guests will serve themselves, add 10% to your estimate.
- Plan on 1.5 glasses per course per person.
- Each 750ml bottle will provide five 5-oz. servings.
- For each course multiply (# of guests) x (1.5) / 5 = # of bottles you will need per course.
- Less than 3 hours: 1.5 glasses per person.
- Over 3 hours: 2 glasses per person.
- Self-Service for guests.
- Offer a red, white and sparkling (if appropriate) for guests.
For larger gatherings, rent glassware from a local party rentals shop. Arrange each place setting with separate red and white wine glasses, plus a water glass. For fine wine tastings, there is varietal-specific glassware available that will enhance each wine's specific character. Riedel is an excellent choice.
- Events before 5pm (or for outdoor events in warm weather): 70% white wine, 30% red wine.
- Events after 5pm: 40% white wine, 60% red wine.
White Wine Choices
- In general, Chardonnay is extremely popular, and also very versatile. Sparkling wines are also a terrific, food-friendly option.
- On a warm day, you may also choose to serve a crisp, refreshing Sauvignon Blanc. If you are serving spicy foods, Riesling is a perfect pairing.
- Fruity desserts and sweet appetizers pair wonderfully with white dessert wines such as icewines or Auslese/Beerenauslese Riesling.
Red Wine Choices
- Pinot Noir is very versatile and an excellent red wine choice for warmer weather.
- Merlot is a popular crowd pleaser because of its chocolate flavors and soft finish.
- Zinfandel offers jammy fruit flavors that pair well with grilled foods.
- Full-bodied wines like Meritage Red, Cabernet Sauvignon and Syrah are recommended for pairing with beef, lamb, and other hearty main courses. Choose a port or port-style wine for after-dinner with strong cheeses or dark chocolate desserts.
Serve a Variety!
Merlots to Zinfandels, Chardonnays to Rieslings...we have them all! (and don’t forget the Champagne!)
Shop All Wines
Check out our Wine Journal for expert suggestions!
What goes with...?
Helpful guidelines to pair wine and food just like a sommelier!
Explore Wine Pairing
Party Planning Guide
Plan for all of life's celebrations with our extensive Party Planning Guide!